Thursday, February 17, 2011

Everything you always wanted to know about UNCA (but were afraid to ask): Vol. 2

We had another round of "Everything you always wanted to know about UNCA (but were afraid to ask)" in MATH 179 today. It came at the end of the class (after further discussion of Jupiter's moons and an overview of the Integrative Liberal Studies program at UNC Asheville), so we didn't have enough time to address every question asked, but we got a few in. We'll finish the rest on Tuesday.

I'm impressed by the students' candor and curiosity, and I'm equally impressed by the students' knowledge of campus functioning. Some of these kids are definitely up with what's going down.

Questions?

  • What is the cause for the recent budget cuts?
  • What are the advantages/disadvantages of declaring a major?
  • If 179 is one of the writing intensives, what are the other 2?
  • What all will the new health and wellness center have to offer?
  • Will any majors be dropped with the budget cuts?
  • Where do I find info on clubs?
  • What are the rules for the disc golf course? And how many holes is it?
  • How much of my tuition is going toward building the community/campus gym?
  • Where do you apply for a learning disability? (I write on the side WITHOUT lines, I'm such a rebel!)
  • How many hours are required to graduate?
  • When will the construction for Governors Village be finished?
  • If I took a Spanish at my other school and it counted as both Spanish requirements if you passed and I passed then I scored below that level on the placement test what happens?
We got around to the first four of these today. I have to admit to a little relief that some of the others have yet to come up: I'm going to have to look up the answers to a few of them!

1 comment:

Jack Derbyshire said...

Interesting questions! Here's what I can answer:
Will any majors be dropped with the budget cuts?
-I can't answer this, but I hope not! Comp Sci will have 2 or 3 professors at the end of this semester. I'm worried!
Where do I find info on clubs?
-Fall campus organization fair is the best place, but the 2nd floor of highsmith, especially SAIL, SGA, and U.P. Can help out with any questions. Otherwise, look at bulletin boards, ask around, and mingle with people to discover the more hidden clubs and student orgs.
What are the rules for the disc golf course? And how many holes is it?
No complicated rules, simply throw towards the basket, and then do it again. 9 holes. (I highly recommend the course 20 minutes from campus - its one of the best in the country!)
How much of my tuition is going toward building the community/campus gym?
-Almost none; most of this was paid for by alumni donations.
How many hours are required to graduate?
-120 hours at the least
When will the construction for Governors Village be finished?
-Next semester it will be open for residents.
If I took a Spanish at my other school and it counted as both Spanish requirements if you passed and I passed then I scored below that level on the placement test what happens?
-I'd say they'll put you at the start of the 2nd level of spanish necessary, although it depends on how low you scored in the placement test.


I would love to know what brought on this round of budget cuts, specifically.