Thursday, September 02, 2010

Why I teach the way I do

So I'm already having a pretty good day (making progress on Chapter 3 of my book, getting great ideas to use in Linear Algebra, enjoying working with a few of the Calc I students in the Math Lab), and along comes an e-mail that pretty much made my week.

To all of those who are reluctant to make the switch to student-centered, problem-based learning, behold the benefits:

"So I just sat down to finally ponder #4 and as I was drawing out a graph, or rather trying figure out which graph I should draw I had one of those major AHA!! moments. The average velocity calculation is the slope of a secant line to the graph s(t)=4.9t^2 !!! I love it when things start to fall into place, especially mathematically. Honestly, I feel elated."

Honestly, I feel elated.

No comments: