Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mystery...solved?

I have a conjectural hypothesis regarding the stronger overall performance by my 8:00 a.m. section. It hit me this morning as I was loitering in the Math Lab about a half hour after class.

Around 9:30 or so, there were seven or eight members of that morning section hanging out in the Math Lab. Several of them stuck around for a couple of hours. This was by no means exceptional behavior: several of them (some of the strongest students in the class, in fact) often spend a couple of hours in the Math Lab after class. Almost every day.

My hypothesis is that after they finish class at 8:00 a.m., many of the students simply have nothing else to do for the next few hours, so, having already dragged themselves out of bed, they figure they might as well get some work done. To the Math Lab they go!

There could be something to this...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When I took Analysis as an undergrad, it met from 8-10am, which was unusual because it was usually offered at 11am-1pm. The same phenomenon you described happened at the new class time. Since there were no 10am classes on those days, we all met in the study room and did homework together for that hour.
Had it been offered later in the day, most certainly people would not have shown up early or stayed later to do the same.

Anonymous said...

exploring what the solutions of linear systems look like with three unknowns at work...
http://imgur.com/1NFhk.jpg
http://imgur.com/xmOVD.jpg
I think i finally get it!
(& I finally got some use of those pesky business cards that I constantly have to organize/pick up off the floor..)

I wish I had linear earlier in the day. Since it's the last class, it's certainly alot harder to hang around. The math lab is much more cheerful in the morning too.

DocTurtle said...

Anonymous: AWESOME! Can you bring those in for "show 'n' tell" on Wednesday? :)