Monday, August 17, 2009

One down, two to go...

MATH 280's in the can.

I think it went all right. The one drawback to the "complexity" of the course (HW committees, discussion leaders, now a student-authored "textbook") is that it now takes about 25 minutes to give a reasonable explanation of the course's components, and that's without going in to much detail.

14 people attended today, including two who aren't yet registered, so signs still point to a small class, roughly half the size of last semester's 280. I'm glad for that: it's conducive to a more intimate and supportive classroom dynamic. So far there are a couple of people who seem to be a bit more outgoing, inquisitive, and bold. If I can get them all to rally around a few natural leaders, it'll be a great team.

One point of note: most of the math majors in the class are in the Licensure concentration. Interesting.

Now I'm off to get ready for my first section of Calc I, and so must for the moment say adieu...

No comments: