Friday, January 16, 2009

Braggin'

My Calc I class is awesome. There's just no other word to describe it. I don't think I've ever had a room full of students less timid about getting up in front of 33 of their peers on the second day of class in order to say a few words about technical mathematics.

Two by two (or in one case, three) they came to the front of the room to expound briefly on everything from logs to linear functions, and to a one they did a smashing job. Even when minor mistakes were made, no one lost composure, no one lost face. I appreciate the audience as much as the speakers, for their kindness and consideration and overall supportiveness.

To the students: I'm sure you're aware that it's incredibly difficult to speak in front of others (most people are more afraid of public speaking than they are of snakes and spiders put together), especially about such erudite matters as calculus. I am immensely proud of the alacrity with which you all got up in front of one another and presented. Excellent work, all around.

No comments: