Monday, June 02, 2008

Back

Damn.

That was productive.

It's going to take me a while to unpack all that I've carried back from Austin.

It's been a long time since I've had a trip that fruitful; I've come away with so many ideas, insights, opportunities for collaboration, connections to new colleagues...what a wonderful crowd these WAC folks make!

It's safe to say that there's a great deal of interest in writing in the math curriculum.

Lucky me.

People were enamored with the work Lulabelle's put together, and with my piece of that project. If anything, though, the writing folks were more interested in hearing about my math poetry project from the Fall 2007 semester. I've already contacted several of the students from that Calc I class and asked if they'd like to work with me by providing me with reflections on their creative process. I'd like to know: what did they get out of the exercise? Did it help them to engage mathematics, and if so, how? I've spent the last hour or so looking over Arthur Young's Poetry Across the Curriculum and other related projects. This is such wonderful work!

As I said, it's going to be a long time before I'm done unpacking the mental baggage I've brought home from that conference. Already, though, I've begun thinking about how I can assess this summer's REU students' writing as they proceed from novice article authors to more seasoned technical mathematical writers, and I've begun puzzling through the process of assessing just how it is that a writing instructor's intentionality leads to students' gains in writing proficiency. And I'm coming up with ways I can use blogs in Abstract Algebra and wikis in Precalc this coming fall. And Lulabelle and I are meeting with Casanova on Thursday to discuss the direction(s) we'll be taking in our follow-on to the last assessment project.

And...

...and...

...and...

...too...much...to...think...about...

...and with only a week to go before the REU begins.

Until I return with a longer and more meaningful post, here's a question for all of you out there who happen upon this blog: would you rather be bored shitless or busy as hell? Discuss. You will be graded on ramblingness, incoherence, and lack of a thesis sentence.

Think 'pon it carefully. Surely your response says more about your personality than a thousand Cosmo quizzes.

1 comment:

Snow said...

The worst is when you're both bored shitless and busy as hell.

It was great to see you again! Come back and visit more often.