Friday, December 28, 2007

Problematic

The last couple of days (as the coming couple of weeks will also) have seen preparation for my courses this coming semester. While Calc II is something I could do with my eyes closed, I'm spending a bit more time in getting ready for Graph Theory.

I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon putting together the first problem sheet for that class.. It asks for a nice mix of examples and proofs, all interspersed throughout a series of definitions that flesh out the basics of graphs. I'm quite pleased with it. It's got a little more than one question per person currently registered for the course, so I hope that everyone will have a chance to get involved through this first set of exercises. I don't think it should take us more than the first week or so to get through it. I'm going to get started on the second sheet soon, but it won't be made public immediately; I have a hunch I'll want to make adjustments once I see how the first sheet goes over. I may, after all, find that I'm aiming too high, or too low, or expecting too much or too little...the students may want to take the class in a totally different direction. We'll see how it goes.

After tinkering with various ideas for that class's exam structure, I've decided to just play it by ear and ask the students to help me design the exams when the time comes: they'll help in the construction of the tests, and in their organization.

Tidbits: I'll also be asking each of the students to read and present on at least one mathematics research paper, and I'm toying with the idea of giving a small amount of extra credit for learning and using LaTeX in the preparation of written homework problems.

Besides this, nothing much to report, teaching-wise.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

1 comment:

Miss Maggie said...

Lions and tigers and TeX, oh my!